Travel to Mackinac Island
Mackinac Island is not accessible by motorized vehicle.
- Pellston Regional Airport (PLN) offers daily commercial flights through Detroit (DTW), and is serviced by Delta.
- Mackinaw Shuttle provides shuttle service to Mackinaw City from Pellston Airport. Transfer is approximately 20 miles. Their fleet can transfer 40-50 people at one time.
Allow one half hour from your scheduled pick up at Pellston Airport to drop off at ferry dock.
- Several Ferry lines service the island with round-trip tickets available for pre-purchase. We plan to arrange group rates on one or more ferries.
- Star Line Ferry services leave from both north St. Ignace and Mackinaw City. Book the ferry with the conference code MCSC for a discounted ticket, or tell them at the dock you are with the Midwest Cognitive Science Conference.
Once you arrive on the island, the Mission Point resort is about a 15 minute walk east from the dock areas (turn right when you arrive off the boats.) Hotel rates incorporate a $6 portage fee, and so your luggage will be delivered to the hotel once you arrive. Several bicycle rental businesses are located near the docks (bicycle rental can be more than $70/day).
The resort operates a shuttle between the docks and the hotel, and there is a taxi service is available near the docks.
The Mission Point Resort has reserved a block of rooms available for $89/night. The resort is a ten minute walk from most other hotels on the island, and the conference rate is a huge discount in comparison to typical in-season island rates.
We anticipate that most attendees will arrive on Saturday or Sunday.
Lodging options include Garden queen rooms, Garden double rooms, Straits view rooms,
Lakeside garden rooms , Family suites,
Lake view king rooms, and Junior suites.
The rates do not include 6% sales tax, 2% local assessment, 10% resort levy. A one time charge of $6.00 per person will apply for luggage transfer from the mainland to the resort and back. Children 17 years of age & younger stay for free. Children 12 & under eat for free. $25.00 additional per guest for triple and quad occupancy.
Reservations can only be made by calling group reservations at (800) 833-7711.
- All reservations must be made by Thursday March 26, 2015. Rooms are based on availability at the time of calling in.
- An advanced deposit of one night's room and tax is required to confirm your reservation. Mission Point Resort accepts Visa,
Mastercard, American Express & Discover. Credit card will be charged for the deposit at the time of booking.
- If paying by check, reservation will be held for 10 days pending receipt of the check.
- Reservations must be canceled at least 14 days prior to arrival to receive full refund.
Shuttle from Docks
There is a hotel shuttle that meets each boat as it arrives on Mackinac Island. This service is $5, per person, and cash is paid directly to the driver. If you are experiencing a delay between shuttles, please call Mackinac Island Carriage Tours Taxi at 906-847-3323. Please note that this service is not owned, or operated, by Mission Point Resort. Cost is always subject to change without notice.